Knitting/purl stitch though back loop(tbl)

Question
QUESTION: With yarn in front how do I insert needle into back loop?  I have been inserting needle into loop from the back side of loop.  Is that correct?  If I insert needle into the front of the back loop I get a yarn over (adding a stitch).

ANSWER: That's right.  You do not want to add a stitch unless it is part of the pattern.

QUESTION: Thank you for answering so quickly.  
The pattern I'm using calls the stitch Irish Moss.  All the instruction books and YOU TUBE I looked into did not use this method for the Moss stitch.  I presume this is a alternative way to make this stitch.  Am I correct?

Answer
Try this link

http://www.lindysknitslaces.com/2009/08/14/stitch-patterns/stitch-patterns-%E2%8

It gives the difference between the moss, seed and double moss.  They are very much alike and I have seen patterns that call the same stitch a different name.  

Knitting

Carol Forbes