Knitting/Raglan cardigan front band

Question
Hello Carol,
I was able to knit the shaping for the back and the fronts for the cardigan with all your great explanations! Thank you so much! (i had to reknit the whole thing as i used the wrong size needles and would have run out of yarn! LOL that is why it is taking me so long to finish this.)Anyway, i am not ready to put it all together but i do not understand the front band that i am to knit.
I have 8 stitches on a holder, pattern reads as follows:

With 3 1/4 mm needles, cast on 1 st with right side facing, rib across sts on holder for front band. 9 sts on needle
Next row: K1 (P1, K1) 4 times.
Next row: K2 (p1, K1) 3 times. K1   {have i knit two or three rows so far?}

Continue in rib until border when slightly stretched, fits up front edge to start of neck shaping ending with right side facing for next row and sewing in place as you go along.  {am i hand sewing this as the band gets longer?}

To shape collar: Increase 1 st at beginning (seam edge) of next 4 rows, then every alternate row to 37 sts on needle taking increased sts into ribbing. {huh? is this increase on one row, then knit wrong side, increase one row, knit wrong side etc 4 times, then only every other row? till i have 37 sts?}

Continue even until collar fits up and around front edge to centre back neck ending with right side facing for next row, sewing in place as you go along.

Cast off in ribbing.  {does that mean cast off a knit like if it is a knit stitch and cast off a purlwise if it was a purl stitch?}

Thank you for any clarification you can give me!!

Answer
Next row: K1 (P1, K1) 4 times.

At this point you will have finished 3 rows.

Yes, you can hand sew as you go but I usually pin my bands with small safety pins until I get to the shaping part (that's coming next) so I make sure there is no rolling or pulling - too tight or too loose before I sew it down.  (I've been now to sew it down more than once, but I'm fussy)

Working on 9 stitches increase (on the edge where you are sewing) 1 stitch rib the rest of the row in pattern = 10 stitches. Rib row in pattern to last stitch, increase = 11 stitches.  Increase 1 stitch and rib rest of row in pattern = 12 stitches.  Rib row in pattern to last stitch, increase 1 stitch = 13 stitches.  Rib row in pattern = 13 stitches.  Increase 1 stitch (should be where you are sewing) and finish row in 1x1 rib pattern = 14.  Do next row in rib pattern =14 stitches.  Increase 1 and do rest of row in pattern = 15 stitches.
Keep going like that until you have 37 stitches.
When you get to center back  cast off knit stitches in knit and purl stitches in purl and sew collar down.

Have fun.  Sounds like you are doing great!

Knitting

Carol Forbes