Knitting/I do not understand pattern

Question
QUESTION: I am knitting from a Drops Cardigan pattern on circular needles. On the right front it says "when you reach 26',slip 8 sts towards mid front on a stitch holder(work them first)then bind off for neck at beg of every row from neck:2sts 2 times and 1 st 2 times. I have 31 sts on the needle.   I have ripped it apart a few times and just don't understand it. Please help.

Thanks,
Sue

ANSWER: beginning neck with 31 stitches.  Knit 24 stitches.  Put the last 8  knit stitches on a stitch holder. 16 stitches on needle, 8 stitches on a holder and 17 stitches left in row = 31.

Bind off 2 stitches and knit the 15 stitches left.  Turn and do the row. Turn.  Bind off 2 stitches and knit the 13 remaining stitches. Turn.  Do the row. Turn.  Bind off 1 stitch and do the remaining 12 stitches. Turn.  Do the next row.  Turn. Bind off 1 stitch and do the remaining 11 stitches.  
the directions will probably tell you to finish the other side of the neck using the 16 stitches that have not been worked, reversing the shaping.   

QUESTION: Hi,
I am sorry, I did not explain well. The math does not add up. I started with 31 stitches. 16,8,and 17 =41. Please let me know what to do. Thank you for your time.

Sue

Answer
So sorry.  It's me that cannot add.

beginning neck with 31 stitches.  Knit 19 stitches.  Put the last 8  knit stitches on a stitch holder. 11 stitches on needle, 8 stitches on a holder and 12 stitches left in row = 31.

Bind off 2 stitches and knit the 10 stitches left.  Turn and do the row. Turn.  Bind off 2 stitches and knit the 8 remaining stitches. Turn.  Do the row. Turn.  Bind off 1 stitch and do the remaining 7 stitches. Turn.  Do the next row.  Turn. Bind off 1 stitch and do the remaining 6 stitches.  

Knitting

Carol Forbes