Knitting/needle size

Question
what size needles should I use for 4ply wool

Answer
My automatic response to you is that if you are using a pattern, then go with the needle size suggested in the pattern, making sure your gauge matches the one given in the pattern.

In general, for a 4ply yarn you want to use a needle size that when knitted will give you 32 - 26 stitches to every 4 inches (10cm).

Doing some pattern research I noticed that 2.5mm or 2.75mm seem to be common needle sizes when working with 4ply yarn, but so much depends on what you are knitting, how loose or tight you want your stitches to be and if you are naturally a loose or tight knitter.

Sorry to be so vague, but there are no fast and hard rules about what size needles go with what yarns. Everything is just a suggestion. I guess that is both the blessing and the curse of the knitting world.

I hope this helps.

-Michelle

Knitting

Liver Chick