Knitting/Adding length to a finished piece

Question
I finished a sweater for a friend's child based on the measurements that they gave me. It turns out that it is about 1 inch too short in the length  of the body as well as in the sleeves. Either the child grew in the last month or they miss measured whatever the case I would like to know how I can add the extra length without having to take it out.
The waist band, button band and neckband are all done in garter stitch with the button vand neckband being added on once the main body was completed.
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much

Answer
Hello Marie,

This actually happens a lot in knitting and knitters have discovered wonderful ways to work around this without having to re-knit the whole piece.

One of the easiest ways would be to pick up the stitches along the edges of your work and knit the extra length in the same garter stitch.

If you want to be a little creative you can knit a pretty edging onto the piece in either the same color or contrasting color.

If you are good with a hook, you could also crochet an edging to the piece.

For some different edging options you can check out the patterns at Ravelry.com
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#query=edging&view=captioned_thumbs&availa

I hope this helps.

Knitting

Liver Chick