I am a beginner and I just started knitting socks but I don't know how to connect the needles while casting on. Thank you!

If you are using 4 double pointed needles you would cast on 1/3 of the stitches onto one needle.  Then hold a second needle right next to the first but sticking up about a third of the way.  Cast 1/3 of the stitches onto the second needle.  Do the same with the third needle.  Now hold the 3 needles in a triangle and (using the fourth needle) knit the first cast on stitch off needle 1.

Some double points come in a pack of 5.  In this case you would cast on 1/4 of the stitches onto 4 needles, form a square, and knit the first cast on stitch off of needle 1 with the fifth needle.

I found this video that may help you.  

Carol Forbes

I can answer questions about machine knitting. I am familiar with most made-in-Japan machines, main beds and ribbers. I am most familiar with Studio and Brother. I am not familiar with Passap.

I was a Studio and a Brother dealer for ten years in Wisconsin. I still knit and design every day.

none but you can see my work on my website