Knitting/Neck shaping

Question
QUESTION: I am a beginning sweater knitter.  I have the back done and the front except when it comes to the "neck shaping".  It states to join 2nd ball of yarn (where?) and bind off center 8 sts.  Working both sides at once with separate balls of yarn, dec 1 st from ea neck edge every other row 3 times.  When all raglan armhole shaping has been worked, fasten off remaining 1 st ea side.  

I have already finished the armhole shaping and have 15 st left on my needle.  With the back, I just binded off these stitches then.  For the front it stated to do it the same way.  Then it stated "Neck Shaping" to cont to work raglan armhole shaping as for back.  Don't know what to do.  Help

ANSWER: Hi Carol,

I'm a bit confused on the pattern myself. Could you provide me with the name of the pattern and the designer? This way I can look up the pattern and hopefully see what the designer is trying to have you do.

QUESTION: The pattern is "Adult Raglan Sleeve Pullover" by LionBrand Pattern # 80682AD.  I tried to do what I thought they meant, but it doesn't look too good!

Answer
Hello Carol,

I took a look at the pattern and can now see where the confusion is. With this raglan sweater, for the front part of the sweater you are going to end up doing two things at the exact same time.

You are doing the armhole shaping at the same time you are going to be doing the neck shaping. It seems strange, but it actually works.

I'll try to break down the pattern into parts to help you better understand. I'll be using the numbers for the smallest size in my example:

I have worked the front until the piece measures 21 inches, making sure to end with a WS row.

Next row: I currently have 56 sts on my needle. I bind off 4 sts a beg of the row. I knit 20 sts.

Now I drop the ball of yarn I am currently using and attach the second ball of yarn onto my needle, sort of the same way you would if you were changing colors in the middle of a pattern.

From this point l will use the second yarn to bind off the next 8 sts.

NOTE*(I used a calculator to help me figure out my center stitches. 56 divided by 2 equals 28. Since I'm going to end up binding off 4 stitches on each side, that leaves me with 24 total stitches, so if I knit 20 sts, and then bind off 8sts, that will leave me with 20 sts on each side.)

Now looking at my work I have 20 sts on my right hand needle attached to my first ball of yarn and the needle in my left hand has 24 sts with the second ball of yarn attached to it.

I then take the needle holding the 24 stitches in my left hand and continue knitting across these stitches with the second ball of yarn. I turn my work and bind off the first 4 sts.

Now I have a total of 20 sts on each needle.

As you can see, this is how you end up with two different sides, allowing you to work both the armhole and sleeve shaping at the same time.

I hope this breakdown helps you. Please let me know if you need any more help.  

Knitting

Liver Chick