Knitting/raglan shapeing armholes

Question
Im shaping the back armhole but do not understand the pattern ,
it dec 1st at each end of next and[ 5]foll 4th row, then on foll [8] alt rows .Started with 53st should end up with 25st.
can you please help me with this .
Kind regards
Linda

Answer
Hello Linda,

Let me break down this part of the pattern and hopefully help you figure out what the designer wants you to do.

Original: dec 1st at each end of next and[ 5]foll 4th row, then on foll [8] alt rows .Started with 53st should end up with 25st.

Breakdown:
Decrease 1 stitch at each end of the next row (51 stitches are now on your needles)

Continue knitting regularly for rows 2-4

Decrease 1 stitch at each end of the next 5 rows. (41 stitches are now on your needles)

At this point you would have worked 9 rows.

Now you will decrease 1 stitch at the end of each alternate row 8 times-

so this means you will do the decreases on rows 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23 and 25 (you will have 25 stitches left on your needles after the last row of decreases)

I do hope this makes things a bit easier to understand. Please let me know if you run into any more problems. Best of luck!  

Knitting

Liver Chick