Knitting/Knitting pattern question

QUESTION: Here is my pattern for 1st row:  (RS) k1. *k6, yfwd, sl1, k1, passp, k1, k2TOG, yfwd.  Rep from * to last 7 sts. k7.

After I complete this pattern across the row, I end up with 11 stiches decreased.  I should not be decreasing stiches in the row.  HELP!

ANSWER: Hello Kay,

Yes, you are decreasing stitches in this row. During each repeat * to *, you are decreasing by two stitches.

Are you sure you are not suppose to be decreasing in this row? Because it is written in the proper way that you would decrease in a knitting pattern.

Sorry to say, but there isn't much more I can help you with without seeing the whole pattern.

QUESTION: THANK YOU SO MUCH.  Here is the rest of pattern:
2nd & alt rows: Purl
3rd row:  k1, *kt, yfwd, sl1, k2tog, psso,yfwd, k1. Rep from * to last 7 sts. K7.
5th row: as 1st row
7th row: As 3rd row.
9th row: as 1st row.
11th row: k1, *C6f, k1, yfwd, sl1, k2tog, psso, yfwd, k1. Rep from * to last 7sts. C6f. K1.
12th row: as 2nd row.
These 12 rows form pat.
I started with 118 stitches and should end with 118.

I see what the problem is. The 'yfwd' in this pattern means 'yarn over'. I had forgotten that some patterns use the 'yfwd' in pace of 'yo'. So you will make a new stitch before and after your decreases, creating a lovely lace pattern. Here is a good video on doing the 'yarn over' in case you need it:

Liver Chick

I can help beginning knitters sort out things like needle sizes, types of yarns to use and good starter patterns. Willing to translate some difficult patterns into plain English when clarification is needed. Recommendation of books and websites to learn new techniques. Sometimes you just need that friend to remind you that knitting is not about perfection and that you will get through that project that feels like its taking forever to complete.

A self-taught knitter who has been knitting for over 16 years. I have taught beginner knitting classes as well as some loom knitting classes in the past. I have taught at Michael's Craft store as a knitting instructor and have done private lessons as well. I enjoy knitting in public and am rarely found without my knitting needles or crochet hook sticking out of my purse. My favorite items to knit are baby blankets and scarves.

Member of the International Old Lacers Inc. (IOLI). Member of Lacey Ladies of Arizona.

Yarn Companies I've Designed for: North American Suri Company Made In America Yarns Galler Yarns Premier Yarns Sanguine Gryphon (now defunct) Design published in: Knitscene Accessories 2012

Associate of Arts degree with an emphasis in Theater Arts. Nine years as a professional costume designer.