Knitting/knitting pattern

Question
I have a 12ply pattern and would like to use 8 ply wool.   How do I convert?

Answer
Hi Elaine,

In order to convert using a different yarn you are going to have to play around with needle sizes until you can produce a swatch that is equal to the size of gauge required in the original pattern.

The pattern was written based on the gauge of the particular yarn called for so that all measurements would come out right. When you use a different yarn, you end up changing the gauge.

You may find that in order to equal the right measurements you may have to increase the number of stitches or rows. This starts getting into a lot of math and keeping track of numbers. It is possible to do, but if math is not your favorite subject, you may find it tiresome.

Here is a good blog post about yarn substitution that may help you:

http://www.sweetgeorgiayarns.com/2014/01/breaking-rules-guide-successful-yarn-su

Knitting

Liver Chick