Knitting/2x18 st repeat

Q1: How many sts do I cast on if the stitch pattern is divisible by 18??
Gauge is 8 sts. 4 inches.(10cm) on a 8mm (US 11). Using super bulky yarn and thinking of the size about 40 inches wide. Its to be a baby blanket.
I have notice on some patterns that the only thing that is different is the second row instead of a knit its or purl??
Q2: Does the purl row make it look any different??
Row 1: Knit
Row 2: Knit (ridges on the right side)
Row 3: Knit 3 (border sts)*(k2tog) three times, [yo, k1] six times, (k2tog) three times. Repeat * To the last 3 sts. Knit 3(border sts)
Row 4: Knit 3, Purl to last 3 sts. Knit 3 sts.
This stitch pattern is divisible by 18. That means any yarn and any size needle can be used.. Determine the size you want by YOUR stitch gauge. Follow the needle recommendations on the yarn packaging. Cast on any amount (divisible by 18) plus any amount for border. Keep these border stitches in Knit Only (BOTH SIDES)
Thank you Marlene

If 8 stitches equals 4 inches, than 80 stitches will equal 40 inches.

18 X 4 = 72 stitches ( a little smaller than 40 inches)

18 X 5 = 90 stitches (a little wider than 40 inches)

If you did 4 stitches (all knit for boarder) then 72 stitches in pattern, and added 4 stitches for the other boarder that would give you 80 stitches to cast on for the 40 inches you want.

Knitting every row (also called garter stitch) does give a ridge.  

Knit a row, purl a row (stockingette stitch) gives a flat side and a bumpy side to the knitting.  

Carol Forbes

I can answer questions about machine knitting. I am familiar with most made-in-Japan machines, main beds and ribbers. I am most familiar with Studio and Brother. I am not familiar with Passap.

I was a Studio and a Brother dealer for ten years in Wisconsin. I still knit and design every day.

none but you can see my work on my website