How to Know if He/She Really Likes You/Guy advice

Question
There's this guy I really like, but I'm not sure if he likes me. subtle ways to find out if he does?

OK, so I've never had a boyfriend before and I'm really shy around boys. But there's this one guy in my class who I like, and I just want to know if he's just being friendly to me, or if his attentions signify something deeper. (He's pretty chatty and sociable, and is friendly to everyone). I'll give you all the facts: we don't talk that often, but when we do I'm comfortable around him. A few weeks ago, he saw me coming to the school gate and waited for me, then walked down until he got to his car with me. I'm sure I've caught him looking in my direction a few times. There was this time when my friend wanted to get his attention, so she called his name a few times but he didn't here, but when I called him, no louder, he heard straight away. Then today, before class it was just me, my friend and him, when my friend noticed I had something in my hair, and I couldn't get it out, and he said he'd get it out for me. He didn't wait for me after class though. I have a kind of gut feeling that he likes me, but I don't know if it's just cause he's friendly and I'm just looking into things to much. I'm so useless with boys! Do you have any ideas on how to find out if he likes me subtly - I'm not confident enough, and I don't know him well enough to just come out with it straight in a conversation. Please help!!!!!

Answer
Hi Frances!

Thanks so much for writing in, and for allowing me to answer your question.

I know you're anxious to get to your answer, so let's get to it straight away!

Well, from what you've shared with me in your letter, it does sound as if this boy is attracted to you. However, the issue here is that you haven't given him any kind of sign that you feel the same way, so he has no idea where to go with it. You need to give him the green light.

Right now, just coming out straight with it that you like him is a bit of a bad idea, so for now, you need to be a bit more subtle about it. Instead, I suggest you tease him a bit.  For example, a good way to do that would be to ask him questions. Say that you ask him what his favourite film is - he tells you - if it's a film that don't like, let's say, you could say something like, ''Oh, horrible film, I could never date you, it would never work out between us.''   See what you've done? You're teasing him, but you're also putting the idea of the two of you dating in his head. You've said that you could never date, and subconsciously, he'll be thinking, 'well, I want to date you, then.'  Or, say for example, he shows up one day, and he's looking quite handsome and fetching. You could say, ''Oh my, that jacket looks almost too hot on you, maybe you should take it off.'' What you're saying here, is not that he's hot, but that the jacket is hot. His subconscious will pick up the signs.  In other words, yes, I'm saying that for this next phase, you need to flirt with him.  I know that it might seem a bit bold for you liking, but I have every confidence in the world in you, Frances. I know you can do it! So what are you waiting for? Go out there and get to flirting! ;)

I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them for you.

Always,

Nicolette.

How to Know if He/She Really Likes You

Nicolette