Lab Tests/Stool tests

Did you happen to see the CNN program the other week with Morgan Spurlock/Inside Man about medical tourism?  He went to Thailand and had, among other tests, a virtual colonoscopy with that tiny camera you swallow.  Afterwards, I found that this procedure is not usually authorized by insurance companies in the U.S.  I would have been willing to go through that, but not the traditional colonoscopy or flexible sigmoidoscopy.  I'm not sure if insurance covers the DCBE, but I would also accept doing that, so I'm going to ask Blue Cross about that.

That leaves the gFOBT, FIT and Stool DNA test.  Over the years, I have occasionally done the FIT, but I'm not sure if these are regulated or ranked by effectivness.  There are several makers of these tests.  Do you know of any studies about these makers' products.  I don't know anything about getting the gFOBT or Stool DNA tests, so any comments about those would be appreciated also.

I did not see the CNN program you are speaking of, I'm sorry.

My understanding of gFOBT and FIT testing kits are simple screenings for blood in the stool, a positive result would warrent colonoscopy. The gold standard for checking for colorectal caner is colonoscopy at this time which is why insurance covers this procedure, and not others. If there is family history of cancer, or you've had any digestive complaints and are over the age of 50, I do recommend going in for a colonoscopy. People can have polyps and cancer without signs of blood in the stool so I don't think these tests take the place of the visualization a colonoscopy provides.  

Lab Tests

Dr.Kalli Prater

I can answer questions about routine lab work, functional lab ranges for optimal health, what lab tests should be considered and when you need to seek a second opinion. I can also answer questions about specialty testing like: stool testing, hormone testing, and saliva testing.

I run lab tests in my office as a functional medicine practitioner and use functional lab ranges looking for patient's optimal health not their disease. I review many charts and labs and look at trends through the years as well as current symptoms. Usually I find more things on labs that the traditional doctor that correlate to the patient's concerns/issues.

American Chiropractic Association

Doctor of Chiropractic Medicine, B.S. in sports Medicine.