Lab Tests/lab reference ranges

Question
Dr. Prater, I'm confused about lab reference ranges varying between labs. I had a fasting blood glucose test done at Labcorp and their reference range is 69-99 and my reading was 110. I recently had it retested at Quest labs and their reference range is 65-99. I don't have the results yet, but would a 110 reading at Quest equal a 110 reading at Labcorp, even with the range difference? Or if I got a 100 reading at Quest, would it translate
to a different number at Labcorp because of that 4 point difference or does it make no difference? I'm not good at math and can't seem to figure this out. Thanks

Answer
Lab reference ranges can vary slightly because they themselves are calculated from the average from what is run through the lab for each given test. Your reading of 110 is universal for either of those labs as it is an absolute value and not a percentage. Functional lab ranges are different, and are looking for your optimal health, for which fasting glucose should be between 80-90. Much smaller range. Too low suggests one thing, too high suggests other things. Hopefully this was helpful. Any other questions please let me know.

Dr. Kalli Prater
www.relaxattranquility.com

Lab Tests

Dr.Kalli Prater