Lab Tests/Lab Tests

I have MS and I had lab work and have questions.  
WBC is 2.6 (value: 4.5-11.0)
Basophils 2 (value: 0-1%)

AST 8.4 (value: 15-7)
Anion GAP 7 (value: 10-20)
Please tell me why and how to fix it. Just trying to understand...

Thank you

Are you taking Tecfidera? Tecfidera may decrease a personís white blood cell count (lymphocytes).

Would you have Basophil count increased when you have Multiple sclerosis?
Summary: Basophil count increase has been associated with Multiple sclerosis, especially males, 50-59 with stress and anxiety, and patients who are on Heparin, a blood thinner.

As for the increase in AST, do you take disease modifying drugs (DMDs), beta interferons?
Beta interferons: Betaseron, Rebif, or Avonex.
If so, beta interferons have been associated with above normal ranges of AST.  Since research has shown  a correlation between MS and elevated liver enzymes, even in patients not taking DMDs, though, it's important for MS patients to monitor their liver enzyme results to prevent possible liver damage in its early stages.

Anion gap is the difference between specific commonly measured cations (Na+ + K+) (Sodium and Potassium) and anions (Cl- + HCO3-) (Chloride and Bicarbonate),that control the pH  i.e., acidity and alkalinity or alkalinity of the blood and are responsible for maintaining the body's water balance.  Specifically, (Na+ + K+) (Sodium and Potassium) minus the sum of specific anions (Cl- + HCO3-) (Chloride and Bicarbonate), or electrolytes. Anion gap is monitored because the pH of the blood must be maintained at a relatively narrow range between 7.35-7.45.  Since blood pH is moderated by the lungs and kidneys, Anion gap values can be diagnostic of various medical conditions or physiological processes and are monitored by an electrolyte test.   The anion gap is calculated by the following equation: (Na+ + K+) - (Cl- + HCO3-) where Na- is sodium, K+ is potassium, Cl- is chloride, and HCO3- is bicarbonate.  

A high anion gap indicates metabolic acidosis, the increased acidity of the blood whereas a low anion gap is may occur from abnormal positively charged proteins.  

Low values most often indicate laboratory error or hypoalbuminemia (low levels of albumin, a protein produced by the liver) but can also indicate lithium, bromide, or iodide intoxication while immunoglobulins (cations as well as proteins) are increased.  

Since Anion gap in and of itself is non-specific, you may want to ask your doctor what he or she believes may be the cause in your situation.  If the cause is undetermined, you may want to ask that a second test be run to rule out a laboratory testing error.

Lab Tests

Elizabeth, MSCIT, BSMT (ASCP)

I can answer questions about the purpose of specific laboratory tests, and can suggest specific questions the patient may want to ask their physician regarding the interpretation of their laboratory testing results. I cannot diagnose diseases or be held responsible for any information or suggestions offered. The final authority and informational resource regarding the patient's medical treatment should be their own physician.

Clinical Systems Analyst at LALGC. 2 years of experience as an Allied Health Instructor teaching clinical lab skills at a Technical college for Associate Degree Clinical Medical Assisting students.

ASCP, licensed as a Medical Technologist in the state of AR and in the state of HI.

BS in Medical Technology (ASCP), Licensed as a Medical Technologist in the state of HI, MS in Computer Information Technology, BA in Art

AR Children's Hospital Scholarship for Medical Technology Students