Land Rover Repair/coolant leak near the rear of the engine block

I was loooking at my nephews car and saw there was a small amount of coolant on the driver side of the engine block towards the rear. it is below the spark plugs and the joint where i believe the head meets the engine block. I was wondering if this is a blown head gasket or is there something more simple i should look at before i tear the heads off and replace the gaskets. any help would greatly be appreciated thank you.

Tearing the heads off and changing those gaskets is a major undertaking - probably two days of labor.  Be sure you're ready.   Head gasket leaks are common.   If you do remove the heads I advise you to surface them for flatness and do a valve job.  Also be careful torquing them back in place and use new genuine head bolts  

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.