Land Rover Repair/Discovery 1 ABS fault

I live in Hong Kong and drive a 1998 Discovery I with 3.9 EFI V8 engine.  The Engine number is 36D76610C.  The chassis number is SALLJGMM3WA798312.
In recent months, the ABS warning light keeep coming on.  I use the Hawkeye diagnostic tool and it returns the error "Left front sensor gap too wide".  I have tried pushing it back and replacing the sensor, and the fault remains.  Other fault codes suggesting "broken circuit', "intermittent disconnection during driving" also come up.
On some occasions, the warning light would not come on.  But the brakes will shake when the car is about to come to a standstill.  It seems ABS has been engaged even though it is not called for.
I suspect that the ABS ECU is at fault and would be most grateful for any advice you may have on solving this problem.  Thankyou.

The gap error can come from a weak sensor but it can also come from loose bearings in the hub (allowing the axle to wobble) or from corrosion or damage to the reluctor ring on the stub axle.  Check the bearings for play and also look closely at the reluctor ring which is visible through the hole if you remove the sensor.   And make sure the sensor is tightly seated by tapping with a rubber mallet.

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.