Land Rover Repair/2003 Land Rover Discovery Head Gasket

I recently purchased this vehicle (Bosch motor)and have discovered it has a leak on the front of the engine between the head and block. If I proceed with the head gasket repair what would I expect the minimum cost in the northeast to be ? I realize that once I open this can of worms the price could escalate quickly. Once the repair is done should I expect to do it again later in the vehicles life ? While in doing the head gasket are there other repairs that should be planned as well ?

I would not take the heads off any 2003-4 Discovery engine unless I was prepared to go all the way and rebuild the engine with flanged liners in the block.  If you remove and refit the heads there is a good chance you will get stress fractures where the head bolts enter the block, and the engine will subsequently show symptoms of head gasket failure, which is really block failure.  I have a number of articles about this problem online.  

The costs of doing the motor over properly - parts and labor - tends to be in the 12k area.

We are in Western Massachusetts and are happy to talk about it at 413-785-1665.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but head gasket replacements on 2003 Discoveries tend to end up badly.

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.