Land Rover Repair/differential oil from left rear fender liner LR2

QUESTION: 2008 LR2....I found 90 wt oil dripping from the left rear fender liner.  Could this be from a vent tube?

ANSWER: Yes it could be from the axle vent.  It could also be melted grease from a hub bearing failure.  Let us know what you find

QUESTION: Thanks for your prompt response.. I was worried.  After your answer I found two vent lines routed to the left rear fender liner area.  One from the Haldex and one from the differential.  It seems like the differential 90 weight oil is being pushed over through the vent tube into the fender.
The pinion bearing, crush ring and seal were replaced 3 months ago so I will ask the dealer who did the work if the leak is related.  Thanks for your help so I knew where to look.  I knew it was not the axle or wheel bearing because the tire and wheel are dry.  Only the fender was oily.  I will let you know what the dealer says.
What do you think would cause the 90 wt to push over months after a service?

The usual reason for differential oil coming out the vent is water intrusion raising the fluid level, or the system being overfilled and then getting hot.  The more common problem is when the vent plugs up with dirt, and pressure builds in the axle, causing leaks at the axle seals.

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.