Land Rover Repair/high/low box

Question
I have had the clutch changed recently on my 1994 Discovery 200 DTI. All seemed fine for a couple of weeks, then he first time I went to engage the low box, the stick came out of high and accross to low, but the gears remained in high. Then the high/low slipped out of high by itself after a few hundred meters and would not re-engage at all. The gear stick swims around with no resistance up and back, but with some lateral resistance. The garage I was taken to wants to take out the gear box to have a look, but I wonder if it might be the clutch....please give me your best guess!

Answer
It sounds like the linkage for the transfer case has fallen apart.  The only connection that would have to the clutch is that the transfer case is removed and refitted to exchange a clutch.  It may be that the mechanic wants to remove the transfer case - not the transmission - which is what I too would suggest in this case.  You can't really see what's going on in the linkage from under the car.  It's all on top of the case, and when it's out the problem should be evident to both of you.

If the clutch feels normal it's probably OK

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison