Land Rover Repair/Inertia switch

I am asking you this follow up question, as the previous expert is unavailable.

I was asked to reset the inertia switch, but I havenít been able to locate the switch.

Could you inform me where the inertia switch is located in the Freelander 2 V6petrol (2007) ?

Or if you have a different idea about why the car wonít start. Maybe the immobiliser and how to reset it ?

Do I  need a diagnostic tool to reset and are there any specific diagnostic tools that are able to access and reset the immobiliser.

Original question:

I have just bought a crashed  Land Rover Freelander 2 and am in the process of fixing it.

I have reached the point in the repair, that I am ready to start the engine.

I put the key in to the ignition and push the start button and all I hear is a single click, the battery light goes of for a few seconds and comes on again. But the starter doesnít crank.

I have tested the battery, it was good, I have tested the starter by supplying 12V directly to the small led on the starter engine, and the starter engine and car engine turn over fine.

The issues I havenít fixed yet are :
I have taken the seatbelts out as the tensioners had deployed and not fitted new ones yet,
The parking sensors front and rear have not been reconnected . All other connections should be in place.

None of the fault codes have been reset yet .

Do you know if there are any resets that have to be done after a crash, before the car will start again ?
Answer:  Hi Ossur,

did you reset the inertia switch?  

Here's another website to use as a resource:

excellent 'tool' to have when you are repairing your Freelander.

Best of luck,
Best of luck,

The 2007 Land Rovers don't have inertia switches.  There's probably an immobilizer issue, or possibly wiring damage.  I don't think you are going to be able to resolve this without factory level test equipment and the proper manuals.  Here are some links . . You say you are in the Faroe Islands

This the the list of Autologic distributors.  Perhaps there is someone on island with a test system or perhaps you can rent a system for this job:

Here is the link to Land Rover's official service website.  You have to pay for access but you get everything a dealer technician would have:

The final concern I'd express is that of training.  Newer Land Rover vehicles use a data bus between the different computers, and a start and drive authorization system that talks between several modules.  There's no point to point wire testing in that system like you found in older cars.  If you are going to get involved in cars like this I suggest you look into training on the Autologic website

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.