Land Rover Repair/2004 range rover

the ignition switch wont turn over .How can I fix this myself.

When the key won't turn in a 2004 Range Rover it's usually a failure of the steering column.   If you can find a good used inner column assembly that would be where I would steer you.  You can go to the Land Rover Techinfo factory website and buy a day's access to download the step by step instructions.

The big challenge is that the parts are no longer available new, and good used ones are scarce.  Also I don't know if you can complete the job without access to a Land Rover Test system.  If you get lucky it will work; if not you will be towing it to a properly equipped shop.  

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.