Land Rover Repair/Land Rover Door Lock Issues

Our 2004 Discovery door locks are not working.  The "master" lock on the dash will not unlock the doors, the doors won't open at all, not even the back door.

We took it to a shop and they tried resetting the computer with a special computer they had, and then tried another one they brought in.  Neither of those worked. They say we'll have to replace the computer.  We called another shop and they said it sounds like some kind of loose connection.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Most of the time these problems come from failed latches.   I have never seen a computer failure in locking alone.  I urge you to look carefully at the qualifications of whomever is doing this work.  Do they have an IDS, t4 or Autologic tester and knowledge to use it?

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.