Land Rover Repair/Shudder steering at high speed

Dear John,

My 1997 Discovery TDI300 is developing an unconfortable wobble, at around 60/70+ mph if a small bump/pothole is hit and specially on irregular surfaces, it sends a massive shudder through the steering wheel. This rarely happens below 50mph, although it can still send a shudder through the steering wheel. There is no shudder at all and the truck runs perfect on smooth surfaces.

Just for your information, I have checked the swivel pre-load, changed bearings, panhard rods, tyres almost new, wheel balancing, new steering damper, new shock absorvers, wheel bearings, Steering Ball joints, and rubber suspension bushes.

I have also aligned the wheels set them to total toe +0.5mm

There is only one thing I have never changed, the front springs.

Can you please advise on this problem?

You seem to have gone down the list
- swivel loading
- alignment
- tie rod end free play
- bushing
- shocks
- wheel balance

Yet it still shakes.   

You ask if springs can cause the problem.  The answer - only if they are sagged badly.  Is the height correct, and even?  If so, the springs are fine.

There are two possibilities I see.  One is that you have a caster problem which is addressed with different front radius arms or bushings
The second is that some of the work you did - is not done right.

Outside that. you are out of options.   It must be one of those things

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.