Land Rover Repair/Disco I shifter issues

Hey there John, how you doing?

Me? I have an issue with my 1998 Discovery I. About five months ago my gear selector started becoming stiff to move. It got to the point were selecting lower gears was not doable, simply would not move into first or second gear positions (automatic transmission). I did not think that much of it as I don't use first or second gear. But over time it has become VERY hard to move into drive. It is at the point now, were I cannot physically put the truck into drive while I can get it out of park and into N, but that is as far as I dare attempt to move the shifter. It is not locked, as in the interlock is working just fine. I think its the cable, but I can't find a replacement cable listed anywhere. Please tell me the cable can be replaced independently of the shifter. Also, is this common when a shift cable goes bad? I would think there is dirt in the calbe, the truck does go light off roading. Do you think this could be a transmission problem, as it is working just fine when I can get it into gear. Just, rather strange..

Matthew, we are seeing that situation more and more at Robison Service.  And you are right - there do not seem to be any replacement cables available.  Right now what we are doing is fitting used shifters with cables.  You may find one that shifts smooth in a local salvage yard.  If not look up Ryan at Rover Cannibal and tell him I sent you.   He should have what you need.

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.