Land Rover Repair/Disco I shifter issues

Question
Hey there John, how you doing?

Me? I have an issue with my 1998 Discovery I. About five months ago my gear selector started becoming stiff to move. It got to the point were selecting lower gears was not doable, simply would not move into first or second gear positions (automatic transmission). I did not think that much of it as I don't use first or second gear. But over time it has become VERY hard to move into drive. It is at the point now, were I cannot physically put the truck into drive while I can get it out of park and into N, but that is as far as I dare attempt to move the shifter. It is not locked, as in the interlock is working just fine. I think its the cable, but I can't find a replacement cable listed anywhere. Please tell me the cable can be replaced independently of the shifter. Also, is this common when a shift cable goes bad? I would think there is dirt in the calbe, the truck does go light off roading. Do you think this could be a transmission problem, as it is working just fine when I can get it into gear. Just, rather strange..

Answer
Matthew, we are seeing that situation more and more at Robison Service.  And you are right - there do not seem to be any replacement cables available.  Right now what we are doing is fitting used shifters with cables.  You may find one that shifts smooth in a local salvage yard.  If not look up Ryan at Rover Cannibal and tell him I sent you.   He should have what you need.

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison