Land Rover Repair/engine cutting out

Question
I have a 95 discovery when driving cuts out like no fuel at intermittent times no distinct pattern if I give it more gas it picks up speed when I let off and then apply gas again sometimes it stops sometimes it does it again and sometimes when I'm holding steady at lets say 45 it will surge I have no idea what's wrong

Answer
Unfortunately there is no single cause of a problem like that.  You might have a failing coil, or ignition module.  You might have a failing mass air meter.  You might have a wiring problem.  If we had the truck here at Robison Service we would substitute the common failure parts one at a time, because we have parts available and it would not cost us anything but the time to try the tests.  If you have to buy the parts it becomes much harder.  In that case I'd drive the truck with a light connected to the ignition - see if the light dies with the engine.  Do the same for power to the fuel pump.  And so on.  Testing by using a light will get you to the same answer but it takes longer because you have to right the test lights or whatever.

Normal test procedures may show something but often they don't work on intermittents  

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison