Land Rover Repair/1997 Land Rover Automatic Transmission Bucking

Question
2 Part question- I bought a used 1997 Discovery
VIN: SALJY124XVA555129 without a higher speed road test because of where we are located. High mileage 215K in great condition- Engine runs perfectly. At around 30 MPH especially when slowing down the transmission kind of "bucks" for a bit. I all finally got it out on the highway and count (by ear) 3 gears engaging- I think there's a 4th that's supposed to be there-but I'm honestly not sure-

I was thinking some type of transmission issue, differential issue, linkage issue maybe even u-joint but if in fact I am "missing" a 4th gear- wow!..and I don't no where to start to diagnose. Can get a used transmission (if you think that's the cause) but can't find anywhere to decode the VIN to ensure that I am getting the right one-

Any thought/experience with this is a help-

Thanks

Answer
1996-7-8 Discovery models all share the same transmission.   Here is what I suggest if you thing you are "missing" a gear:

Get the truck rolling along at 40mph in drive.  Shift back one gear.  Does it shift?  Let the truck slow as you pull the lever back a gear at a time.   That will tell you if top gear is missing.

Remember that a car that makes three gear changes has four speeds.  Start in 1 > shift to 2 > shift to 3 > shift to 4

The bucking may be normal; it may also come from wear in the driveline, axles, differentials, etc.  No way to tell without looking

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison