Land Rover Repair/Disco II won't start

I have a 2002 Discovery II. After driving it this weekend, and getting home I went to park it and shut off the ignition but when I did the engine kept running (I think as the sound did not exactly resemble an engine running) so I turned the ignition back on then off. Now when I turn the key to start it nothing happened, except a faint click from inside the fuse compartment and it sounds like one under the passenger dash. The radio and clock dims when key is turned, then return to normal after I release the key. In an attempt to correct the problem, I have changed the battery, and starter but no change. Any help with direction to follow would be immensely appreciated.

It's hard to be sure from your description but it sounds like you have an electrical system failure. Since the truck stayed on when the key went off I'd check the wiring through the switch.  Next I'd check the power at the starter, then the fusebox, and follow it to the big connections at the alternator and battery.  Don't forget the ground cables - they are the other side of the circuit.  I think you will find your trouble in there.   You'd be well advised to buy an electrical troubleshooting manual and workshop manual for this task

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.