Land Rover Repair/Land Rover SE7 Crankshaft

Question
I am thinking about buying a 2003 Land Rover Discovery SE7 with 99k miles.  It is being sold for $5,000 because it has "crankshaft slack".  I wanted to know if you felt is was worth it to buy and repair.  About how much would this cost to fix?  Is it something I might be able to do myself?

Answer
By "crankshaft slack" I assume the seller was told it needs a new engine.  Given the 10k cost of a motor, and the $5-6k selling price of a typical used truck today, I would say that broken truck is worth at most $1,000 as it is.  But that's just my opinion.  You may value it higher for reasons I can't see.

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison