Land Rover Repair/brakes lock up

Hi. My 2001 Disco II has problem with brakes locking up.  I replaced the transmission and transfer case. When it shifts out of low gear the brakes lock up.  When you ease up on the gas briefly the brakes release.  Brakes lock up again when you shift out of low gear.  What's my problem?

I have never seen a Rover do what you say.  Is the traction control activating, so you hear it buzzing when the brakes apply?  How do you know the regular brakes are the problem?   If I were to guess I'd say its much more likely there is an assembly error and the parking brake drum is grabbing.

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.