Land Rover Repair/land rover discovery ll 2002 problem

My Rover has a distinct roar in the front axle area of the car when I get to the speed of between 50 and 65 on the freeway. I can feel a vibration under my foot on the passenger side when this happens.  Checked u joint , it was put in last year and is still OK.  Checked the wheel bearing and seems to be OK, we are kinda stumped. Tires are good, just had them rotated to see if that was the problem, roar is still there.  Mechanic said it may be my transmission, I have no slippage and have had no trans problems, its an automatic. I change my brake pads regularly but do not change the rotors very much, could this be the roar problem
could this be a caliper problem?

Calipers do not generally make noise, but differentials and/or wheel bearings do.   If the front axle assembly were the source of noise (either from bearings or diff) the least costly repair may be to fit a used front axle assembly.  That's about it for noise in front.  However, it's also possible that you are mistaken about the location and the noise is coming from the transfer box or even the rear axle.

Your first step might be to search for a shop that's truly qualified to work on Land Rovers.  The days of generalist mechanics solving problems like this are long gone

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.