Land Rover Repair/refurbished series 2 gearbox problem

HI there ,
i have just refurbished my series 2 gearbox at my mechanic.
when i started the engine for first time i could engage  all gears and drove the landy up a ramp out of the garage on 4 w d , drove about 50 feet on first 2 w d  , 2nd and 3 ,and stopped at a corner.
when i drove again the 2nd gear could not engage any more.
All other gears function ok.
i tried going into 2nd with engine off ,and also tried pushing l r back and forth in free position and on other gears ,no difference.
forks look ok and inspected for any obstructing object.
what is stopping the 2nd gear to engage .???
thanking you in advance  mario

Mario, with all due respect, I'm not sure what the question for me is here.   If you just assembled the transmission, and it shifted into second gear once and will not do so again . . . what is there but an internal problem?

I assume you are familiar with the simple shift linkage on that vehicle, and it is all working right and free.

If so there is nothing to do but remove the gearbox and see whats wrong inside

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.