Land Rover Repair/RE: 2001 Disco Question

Question
John,

I own a 2001 Discovery II and recently had the TC, Hill Descent and ABS light flash on a few times and now they are staying on.  I have read a bunch of horror stories on blogs, but really am writing you to ask, what questions I should ask, or what should I be aware of when I speak to my dealership?  

I live in Cincinnati, OH, and have tried to find a "non-dealer" maintenance shop, tried a couple, and had terrible luck.  The local dealer always had to "fix" what the shops failed to do.  

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated Joh.  Thank you and happy 4th!

Answer
Most TC/HDC/ABS lights are a result of sensor faults, brake switches, or shuttle valve problems.

The sensor faults can occur because the sensors itself is bad, or because the hub has become loose and it wobbles.  So you might need a sensor or a whole hub.

The shuttle valve fault can usually be fixed with the $100 repair kit but sometimes the whole $2000 assembly has to be changed.

Brake switches are cheap and simple

Often we find several codes in memory, and we are faced with multiple repairs.

The only way to know what to do is to have a properly trainer person test it with the correct equipment (T4, IDS, Autologic)  

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison