Land Rover Repair/RE: 2001 Disco Question

I own a 2001 Discovery II and recently had the TC, Hill Descent and ABS light flash on a few times and now they are staying on.  I have read a bunch of horror stories on blogs, but really am writing you to ask, what questions I should ask, or what should I be aware of when I speak to my dealership?  

I live in Cincinnati, OH, and have tried to find a "non-dealer" maintenance shop, tried a couple, and had terrible luck.  The local dealer always had to "fix" what the shops failed to do.  

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated Joh.  Thank you and happy 4th!

Most TC/HDC/ABS lights are a result of sensor faults, brake switches, or shuttle valve problems.

The sensor faults can occur because the sensors itself is bad, or because the hub has become loose and it wobbles.  So you might need a sensor or a whole hub.

The shuttle valve fault can usually be fixed with the $100 repair kit but sometimes the whole $2000 assembly has to be changed.

Brake switches are cheap and simple

Often we find several codes in memory, and we are faced with multiple repairs.

The only way to know what to do is to have a properly trainer person test it with the correct equipment (T4, IDS, Autologic)  

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.