Land Rover Repair/2003 Discovery 2 - sticks in limp home mode?

Vehicle belongs to a good friend, but he knows very little about cars or where to take this one for repair.

The symptoms are that intermittently the vehicle will go into some mode where it has trouble making it up to freeway speeds. Acts like descent mode or stuck in lower gear, in that you get hard deceleration instantly when you let off the gas. No warning lights are displayed, and according to two service places (one general repair, one trans specialty shop) no engine or trans codes are being set. The trans place couldn't reproduce the problem either, though it's happened two or three times to my friend while driving.

Any suggestions on what to look for on this?

The vehicle may not be shifting out of low gear for some reason.  I'd suggest you concentrate your efforts on finding a shop that is qualified to fix Land Rovers of this vintage where you live.  It's not going to be realistic to own the car if there is no one to care for it.  Dealer technicians may not be familiar because its an older generation.  Truly qualified independents are hard to find.  People ship cars hundreds of miles to Robison Service for that very reason.  That said, you are in California, the hotbed of car people.   Good luck and that's my best advice.   Start asking around, look at the shop recommendations on and elsewhere!  

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.