Land Rover Repair/2004 Discovery keys

My son lost the original key for his 2004 Discovery, so we had replacement keys made at a locksmith with the code supplied by our local LR service provider.  The locksmith says they can only use the Ilco keys for a replacement for this car, and so far, the Ilco replacements have broken off in the ignition twice!  The first time, the guy from the towing company was able to get the broken piece out of the ignition and I assumed it was a defective key.  Now, it has happened again.  Our service guy says we can't get a LR key made from the dealer, because they don't make them any more.  Have you heard of such troubles with this model?  At this point, I don't have faith in the Ilco keys- Thank you for your time in responding!

If the key has snapped off twice I'd be looking at the ignition lock.  There is no inherent weakness in an Ilco key.   The lock is probably failing, and you twist the key hard, and it snaps.  I have never seen any other explanation for key breakage.   My suggestion is that you swap out the ignition lock assembly soon, because its total failure will leave you stranded

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.