Land Rover Repair/2004 Range Rover Key

We have two keys for the RR and one (bad) does not open or signals the ignition so we can't turn the key and start it but it does lock,open doors and trunk with the remote on the key. The good key even before entering the key slot/ignition it makes a sound like unlocking the steering/ignition. Can you guide me on how to fix the bad key to make it work again, Thank you. ( is it a transponder issue?)

Usually the problem you describe comes from a key that has been dropped or otherwise damaged.  Most times, the key is just no good anymore.  So the fix is a new key.   If you wanted to know what was wrong you would have to connect a LR diagnostic system to the vehicle and see what signals it was reading from the key.  But even if you do . . .  the result is still the same.  Keys are not usually fixable.

What I would do is order a new key, and have them try to initialize the old one at the same time they set up the new key.  Most dealers are going to charge 75-100 to configure keys, and you might as well get a new one out of it because the odds are not more than 1 in 10 that your old key is going to be usable again

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.