Land Rover Repair/2005 Land Rover

Just got home and tried to open tailgate . Lift handle making noises to unlock but tailgate want open.
What might be the problem and how do I fix it? Thank you

There are some cables and a latch that can break in there.  The trick is getting the panels apart for access with minimal damage.  With all due respect this may be a job for a dealer technician who's done it a dozen times before.  

If you do want to proceed on your own what I suggest is that you go to the Land Rover factory service website:

Select your country, year and model, and buy a day's access.  Look up the service bulletins on tail gate issues and the procedures to get it apart.

If you still want to tackle it you will then be fully informed.

No special tools are needed but be prepared to spend some hours on this

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.