Land Rover Repair/2002 discovery series ii cooling problems

Hello my name name is Keith Lawson I've got a land rover discovery series ii 2002 and I've had the timing,water pump and oil gaskets replaced along with the radiator thermostat replaced and I had the head gasket test and it was fine. I can drive sometimes and everything works like the heating and cooling system seems to work then sometimes it over heats when I drive about 20minutes then sometimes it will run for 45minutes in my driveway and nothing happens then sometimes the hoses are hard and I have to bleed the line. I'm not leaking anything I don't have milky oil I'm at a loss can someone please help me,thank you Keith Lawson

This is a classic description of liner failure.  What you probably need is to rebuild the engine with flanged liners, a 10-13k job.  So you have a big decision to make.  Look at the Robison Service Blog - there are several articles on Land Rover liner failure (you can google that phrase for them) that lay it all out, with photos.

Sorry to have bad news

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.