Land Rover Repair/Discovery II engine dies

1999 Discovery II
Engine dies after running for short period of time. Engine light is on and car will start. If engine light is off engine just cranks over but will not start. Engine running with engine light on when it engine light goes off engine dies. It has new crankshaft sensor and new MAF sensor. Have bypassed fuel relay and no change. Engine is getting fuel. I have held it at 2000 rpm and will still die unexpectedly. Same thing at idle. Thanks for info you have.

This statement:  If engine light is off engine just cranks over but will not start is consistent with a cam sensor thats intermittently failing.

This statement: Engine light is on and car will start means there are codes stored.  What are they and what do they suggest?

In your situation you really need a quality scan tool with live data display so you can see what the various readings are.  Without that it's a really costly guessing game

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.