Land Rover Repair/99 Land Rover problems

Question
Hello John,
I have a 99 Discovery I Land Rover. I got it from my brother-in-law. He told me that he let someone drive it, and the oil light came on.The person thought that the oil was low so they put oil in it. After that the truck started ticking. The check engine light is also on. I drained some of the oil and got it to normal level, but it still ticks. It does not smoke but it ticks a lot.He also told me that he took it to the shop when he had it and they told him that he needed an oil pump. I would like to know if replacing the oil pump would fix the ticking? Need help bad. Thank you.

George

Answer
If you continued to drive the truck while the light was on and it was ticking there is a good chance the engine is damaged, and it will need much more than an oil pump.  When an oil light comes on and you hear noise the only safe action is to shut down and call a tow truck

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison