Land Rover Repair/Advice on a purchase

QUESTION: Given the engine issues you've documented on the 2003-04 Discovery II models, what would you advice be for someone who is interested in an older Land Rover as a 2nd vehicle?  Have always had a soft spot for these vehicles, nearly bought one new back around that time, and have been tempted to look for a low mileage model to have as a weekend car (with a little econo-box as a daily driver).

Are you better off getting one for next to nothing and then dropping in a new engine and transmission?

Are the LR3's any better?

ANSWER: I would look at a rust free Range Rover Classic.  We are seeing people make major restoration investments in those trucks more and more.  They are the next collectible Rover.

QUESTION: A man after my own heart.  Does your car buying service find many of those?  About how much would one expect to pay for a relatively clean (but not fully restored) 1995 County LWB?

We see them sold in the $7-15k range in good unrestored condition.  A first rate restoration like you see done on Defenders will run over $100k and a Classic restoration to the same level would run perhaps $20k more because of the leather interior, accessories, etc.  

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.