Land Rover Repair/Should I buy

Question
QUESTION: Hello I am looking to buy a 2003 Land Rover Discovery. What is the mileage I should be looking for and how much is too much? Should I buy a Land Rover Discovery early 2000's.

ANSWER: In my opinion, every 2003-4 Discovery is a rolling time bomb with the engine failure.  If the truck has a rebuilt engine with flanged liners (and proof that was done) fine.  But if the motor is original it's living on borrowed time, and I would not give more than a few thousand dollars with the knowledge that an engine overhaul will run 11-14k to do properly.  If you're not ready for that, don't buy.

QUESTION: Thanks so much, what a great response that really helps. Is this with all Discoverys? I am currently looking at a 1999 LR Disc. it has 129,000 on it currently. Same logic applies?

Answer
Yes, basically.  The 2003-4 engines are by far the worst but I would not trust any of them, when offered in the used car market.  All too often sellers pawn a failing motor off on an unsuspecting buyer.  Why is it up for sale?  It's very hard to get a true answer.  

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison