Land Rover Repair/Should I buy

QUESTION: Hello I am looking to buy a 2003 Land Rover Discovery. What is the mileage I should be looking for and how much is too much? Should I buy a Land Rover Discovery early 2000's.

ANSWER: In my opinion, every 2003-4 Discovery is a rolling time bomb with the engine failure.  If the truck has a rebuilt engine with flanged liners (and proof that was done) fine.  But if the motor is original it's living on borrowed time, and I would not give more than a few thousand dollars with the knowledge that an engine overhaul will run 11-14k to do properly.  If you're not ready for that, don't buy.

QUESTION: Thanks so much, what a great response that really helps. Is this with all Discoverys? I am currently looking at a 1999 LR Disc. it has 129,000 on it currently. Same logic applies?

Yes, basically.  The 2003-4 engines are by far the worst but I would not trust any of them, when offered in the used car market.  All too often sellers pawn a failing motor off on an unsuspecting buyer.  Why is it up for sale?  It's very hard to get a true answer.  

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.