Land Rover Repair/Labor

Hi and thank you for taking the time to help. I have a 2012 LR2 love it! But I was away on a business trip and came back to my drivers door and a scrape on driver rear no note. My question is I put in a claim to fix this on my insurance. I took it to a shop our company that I work for used before. I had ins appraiser give me a 20,000.00 this guy went crazy wrote down all kinds things very weird hmmmm but I spoke the insurance company to take a look at the difference. The shop I mention gave me a 12,000.00 estimate. Here's what I wanted to know. I verified the cost for parts by the itemized estimate and checked prices they are fair. The shops estimate is calling for both doors she'll to be replaced plus LABOR and paint. My friends are telling me this is a 5,000.00 job and parts alone are at 3000.00 this means there's 9,000.00 in labor for. Mechanic painter ect do you have a clue on what average job like this would or sounds logical would cost.

Parts to be replaced are :
Seal appliqué
Upper molding

This on both doors installation 3900
Paint labor 1000.00
Mechanic labor 2565.00
Frame labor 450.00
Paint supplies 764.00

Tax 320.00

Thank you for your time

Michelle, the body shop should have used a standard software package like Mitchell to write the repair estimate. This system is also used by insurance companies, and it's become a sort of standard in the industry.  If this is an insurance job, I suggest you direct your questions to the appraiser.

In my experience the biggest source of difference in body damage appraisals is the skill of the person writing the car up.

If the insurance appraiser estimated the job for $20,000 and you are fixing it for $12,000 I'd guess you are missing something.  Insurance appraisers do not just throw away money like that.

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.