Land Rover Repair/Range Rover Sport Automatic 2006

My Range Rover Sport is stuck in a multi-storey car park with a flat battery.  I have tried jump starting it and it started but died almost straight away.  I tried connecting a new battery but the engine started smoking before I even started the engine so I had to disconnect it before it caught alight.  Any ideas?

There is no reason your engine should smoke when the battery is connected.  My guess is that you have multiple issues, and I would suggest you remove it from the garage with dollies if you are not able to shift it out of park.  "Engine smoking" and flat battery do not really go together unless you have a short circuit in the alternator.  But that won't lend itself to repair in the garage.  Your best bet is to connect jumpers and try and shift to neutral but if that does not work tow companies have dollies to put under the wheels

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.