Land Rover Repair/2004 eange rover smokin like freighttrain

Question
Hi Mr robinson I think you did not get my follow up so there we go again Ido believe the only person who can help me at this point is you.I read I lot about your blogs and books,Sorry for any inconvenience the smoke is coming from the tail pipe is black and lots of it I was driving the rover in the highway and I see thru the mirror the I was filling the road whit blach smoke so I pull over right away and shut off the engine I call tow truck and took it to my garage I park it in drive way I open the garage and start the rover to put it inside and it fill the garage whit black smoke anyway I was able to put  it inside so i wait for the smoke to clear and I tried again start right away but it fills the garage whit black smoke in less than a few seconds I will apreciate your expertise in this matter because like a mentioned before you are an icon in the land rover field,Thank you so much I hope I heard from you soon. If you need more info dont hesitate to contact me.please help becase I call the dealer and they tolld me right away that I need and engine whit out even lookin at it. thanks again in advance

Answer
The 2004 Range Rover has the BMW engine, which can smoke if the breather system fails and it starts sucking oil into the intake.  However, there is also a good chance what the dealer said is true - these engines do fail and smoke too.  I've seen equal numbers of both when it comes to smoking complaints.

As much as you want to find an answer online you are not really going to get anywhere until you find a qualified specialist and have him check the truck out in real life.  A good Rover/BMW guy should know what to do.  While it's satisfying for owners to ask questions like you have, it's important to remember that a truly qualified service person should be able to get to the bottom of a problem like this with your vehicle and test gear alone.  You should not have to come here and look for instructions for him.  In fact, if he cannot tell you what I just said, and then explain how he will test the truck, he's probably not qualified.

Do not assume dealer techs are qualified just because they are at a dealer.  Try and talk to the person doing the work, not a service salesman.

Good luck.

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison