Land Rover Repair/1998 Land Rover cold start problem

Working on a 1998 Land rover 4.0 V8, at temps below 50F vehicle wont start without giving it a shot of starting fluid, after that one initial start and running for a minuet it will start right up after words hot or cold, any ideas??

I would look at the live data from the temp sensor.  Does the temp the ECU shows agree with the actual air temp?  If that reading is right, and the mass air meter is correctly measuring incoming air, and you do not have major air leaks to mess up the meter it should be able to provide a correct mixture to start.  I'd guess one of those things is out of whack.

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.