Land Rover Repair/Engine Blew 2003 LR Discovery HSE

Vehicle not driven on a daily basis has 77K miles. Last serviced August 2013. oil light came on last week. Immediately pulled over towed to the same dealership. Was told the oil pressure went down and blew the engine. The kicker is they can't get a factory engine. They are hoping I'll go away. I won't. What's the purpose of regular service if you still have something like this happen. AAA driver said the oil was a quart low but still in safety zone, no leaking oil, did not run hot. I asked what the faults showed and they said it doesn't work with the engine, it has to be taken apart. Why don't they have an engine? What happened at my last servicing? Did they check the faults and address them? I am not buying this. I am doing research now and the only recall that shows up is the problem with the throttle body which I did experience and could have been KILLED. There were six total recalls and I was not notified for any. Same address 12 years. What do you think?

Oil pump failure is a possible cause of engine failure.  We have seen several.  The engine should be repairable.

Employee turnover is high in dealerships.  The one that looked at your car may not have people who have experience on the 2003 vehicles.  That's a big problem in the industry.  You're welcome to send it here.  I believe I addressed the rest of this in my answer to your follow on question.

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.