Land Rover Repair/Land Rov Dis HSE 2003

How do you know if the engine is shot for sure. I don't trust the mechanics at my dealership or their workmanship. How do you find a good mechanic that can do a good job with the engine? I am shocked by all of this. I can't imagine purchasing a vehicle where the engine only last for 77,000 miles. Do you have people come from out of town for work on their Land rovers? Should the dealership still have engines available for a 2003 vehicle? Especially if they know the engines are no good in the first place. If they don't want to work on it in the first place they wont do a very good job. I want to keep it but fear that I might have other new problems like I'm hearing.

Patrice, if you don't trust the dealer, and you want to fix the truck, you are welcome to send it to us at Robison Service in Springfield, MA.  We get Rovers shipped from all over for work like this.  

As for the engine availability - complete replacement engines are no longer available through the Land Rover dealer parts system.  The engine you have will need to be rebuilt, and to to that, the problem of the block cracks and liners needs to be solved.  I've written a number of magazine articles on this issue; you can find one here:

Here's another story on these engines:

The cost of a rebuild with flanged liners will typically run $11-13,000.  

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.