Land Rover Repair/Ground fault with turn signal?

Hi John, My lead in, is we rewired out pop up trailer, which is how I found the problem. After re-wire of the trailer, everything works fine when connected to our truck. I then connected the trailer to our 1998 Discovery, which appears to have a factory towing wire job. So when the LR is connected to the trailer, the left rear turn signal/brake/hazard has no response. On further inspection, when testing the ground it is hard to get a steady signal when checking resistance. When I check voltage for both turn signals, I get voltage but the left turn signal and hazard have a little less voltage than the right. Here is why I think the ground is not good. Just for kicks I also checked for voltage on the opposite signal than the one that was on. When the right signal is flashing, I get voltage bleed over to left side, but only slight. The Left side does not have any bleed over to the right turn signal. What next? If it's the ground I do not have an earthly idea where to check? what ever you can suggest would help. thanks, D.T.

There is no such thing as factory trailer wiring on a 98 Discovery.  All the trailer wiring is via aftermarket kits.  I suggest you look at Atlantic British or Rovers North and buy a new kit.  Assuming the regular rear lamps are all working that will surely solve your problem

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.