Land Rover Repair/'98 Disco front end noise

I replaced all four tie rod ends and took around the block last night and no noise so far. The one on the pitman arm was very worn and "notchy" so it may very well have been the source as all other bushings appear full and not reamed or cracked. Now, even though I very, very carefully counted all turns removing installing the tie rod ends, the steering wheel is just a tick left of center now when driving straight. To drive straight now what was once 12 o'clock is now about 11:58. So, since both bars also measured correct before being re-installed do you have any suggestion as to which I could adjust to center things up? I imagine just a turn or so will correct and hate to go to an alignment shop for that.

You should set the toe on an alignment machine because 1/4 inch of error there will eat the front tires pretty fast.  The rear tie rod sets the toe; the front one sets the steering wheel center position.  Changing one will change the other and the toe gets set first

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.